Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Seahawks week 1 review

After week 1, they SUCK! Yes, those are capital S capital U capital C and capital K. Anyone who watched the game who wasn't a Buffalo Bills fan, was completely and utterly depressed after it. We wait for Football for 7 months, and that's what we get? My son, who's 1 year old, and this would be his first Football season where he could comprehend a thing or two, looked at me with a very quizzical look on his face after some of Holmgren's calls. Especially, ESPECIALLY, the draw play to the FB Weaver on a 3rd and something ridiculous! Yes, if you didn't see the game, then the look on my son's face is that same look that you have right now! A draw play.. to the Fullback.. on a 3rd and beyond long! Anyway, to be quite honest, I was very disgusted, I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit during and after the game, but I got over it. Why so quickly?

Well, first of all, I'm a sports fan in the Pacific Northwest. If you haven' heard (and I don't blame you if you haven't, because believe it or not the Pacific Northwest is indeed part of the United States, and it's part of the contiguous United States) sports up here seem to be our emotional and psychological black hole. It sucks in everything and leaves nothing but darkness, which is how our souls feel after considering any of the sporting teams that are associated with this part of the country. The Mariners are so far at the bottom of the Al West that the next worst team in that division can't even see them in their rearview mirror. And they have not been to the post season since God knows how long (I'm sure someone else other than God knows how long, it just seems like an eternity). The beloved SuperSonics are gone. Snatched from amongst us by the wickedest of methods (something that I might visit in the future, I still have a lot of steam to blow off regarding that whole debacle). Even the Huskies and the Cougars football teams are the worst in their division and expected to finish dead last and next to dead last. I would like to include sports teams from Oregon in this discussion, but I just can't get myself to acknowledge them! Point is, we're some of the best adjusted fans in all of sports because of the heartache upon heartache our teams have given us.

Second, I am giving the Seahawks a mulligan for the first 3 games and up to the bye week. Their top 4 wide receivers are hurt (2 lost for the season, the other 2 are expected somewhere around the bye week). They also play the 49ers and the Rams @ home, so that makes the schedule very favorable. They can still get to the bye week with a 2-1 record and get their top 2 receivers back. Maybe by that time the OL will have gelled together nicely and a running game will have started to emerge from the ashes of the past 2 years. Maybe Hasselbeck and the new receivers will have adjusted to each other and displayed a semblance of a passing game. Maybe rookie Tight End Carlson will show that he really is worth the draft day maneuvering to get him. Maybe. That little word is what keeps us sports fan tuned in, week in and week out.

With all that being said, I still can't understand all the recent moves the Front Office made the past couple of days:
- Released Jordan Kent: Even though we do need more, not less wide receivers, I can understand this move because he still needs some experience and he can't be relied on to be the team's 3rd or 4th best option. In any case, he cleared waivers and was signed to the Practice Squad.
- Release Justin Forsett: HUH???!!! Why? He is a rookie, and a little bit undersized, but he has potential and plenty of it. Everybody knew that he was not going to clear waivers, no way. So what happened? The Colts picked him up. I hope he's not the next Westbrook or something like that. Besides, why do we still have 2 kickers on the roster?
- Keeping 2 kickers on the roster: I can understand that if one is so outstanding at kickoffs, and that's all he does, and the other is so outstanding at field goals and so accurate that you have to keep them both. But that's not the case. Coutu wasn't even active last week. Don't you think that if he were release, nobody would've picked him up and he could've been placed on the Practice Squad, and thus saving a spot for Forsett? Makes no sense to me that the FO would rather keep a 2nd kicker who does not even get activated on game day rather than a running back with a lot of potential and great hands coming out of the backfield. That's the major head scratcher.
- Signing 2 new wide receivers, McMullen and Parker: Ok, we need wide receivers, but, um, who?! I think that the Front Office need to swallow a big gulp of their pride and take a look at Koren Robinson. Why not? He already knows the offense, he's rehabilitated, and besides, it's a win on all sides situation for the organization in showing that they give players a second chance and he's someone who the fans would feel good about because there would be an elevated sense of relief and familiarity. Judging from last season, Robinson still has that explosiveness in him and I think that getting him back in Seattle would encourage him to prove to everybody including himself that he still can play, and that people's faith in him is well placed. And if he does anything stupid, the organization will show him the door as fast as humanly possible and they can say "hey, at least we tried!"

I'll be watching the games on Sunday. Oh you know I will. I'm a fan, and that's what fans do. They stand behind their teams. Or it's just out of morbid curiosity! And if they are down big near the end of the game, I'll be turning off the TV, sulking for a bit, and then picking myself up and rejoining the normal universe. How come so quickly? Well, I'm a Pacific Northwest sports fan!

No comments: